Navigation and service

A brief history of the Robert Koch Institute

1891  The scientific division of "The Royal Prussian Institute for Infectious Diseases" is opened. Robert Koch heads the Institute up to 1904.
1900  A new building in Berlin-Wedding is completed and has since been the headquarters of the Robert Koch Institute.
1912  30 years after Robert Koch discovered the tubercle bacillus, the Institute is renamed the "Royal Prussian Institute for Infectious Diseases 'Robert Koch'".
1919  The institution continues its work as the "Prussian Institute for Infectious Diseases 'Robert Koch'".
1935  The Institute is placed under the jurisdiction of the Reich Health Office.
1942  The institution becomes an independent Reich body, the "Robert Koch Institute".
1945  In the autumn of that year the Institute merges with the Reich Institute for Water, Soil and Air Hygiene and the Reich Health Office to become the "Central Institute for Hygiene and Health".
1948  The institution continues its work as the Robert Koch Institute for Hygiene and Infectious Diseases.
1952  The Institute becomes part of the newly founded Federal Health Office (Bundesgesundheitsamt, BGA).
1991  Several former GDR authorities are integrated into the Robert Koch Institute.
1994  The Federal Health Office is dissolved. The Aids Centre and the Institute for Social Medicine and Epidemiology, which were once part of the BGA, merge with the Robert Koch Institute which continues its work as an independent higher federal authority.