Strengthening Global Biosecurity (GBS)
- Walter Biederbick
- Carrying out projects on Biosafety and Biosecurity within the RKI, and coordination and implementation of projects funded by the Federal Foreign Office (Auswärtiges Amt) within the framework of the German Partnership Program for Excellence in Biological and Health Security as part of the Global Partnership against the Spread of Weapons and Materials of Mass Destruction.
- Promoting global Biosafety and Biosecurity by strengthening institutions, structures and processes in the partner countries of the German Partnership Program for Excellence in Biological and Health Security.
- Supporting institutions in the partner countries in developing guidelines for procedures of risk assessment, material controls and information management.
- Supporting partner countries in raising awareness of issues surrounding Biosafety and Biosecurity.
- Training in the area of Biosafety and Biosecurity for and in the partner countries.
- Staffing the programme office at the German Federal Foreign Office, including specialist management, processing ministerial tasks, organisation of internal events of the Federal Foreign Office and the external representation of the programme.
- Developing scenarios for a training course of the United Nations on the investigation of alleged use of biological and chemical weapons (United Nations Secretary-General’s Mechanism - UNSGM).
- Addressing questions on "Dual Use Research of Concern".
- Advising the Federal Foreign Office on issues of Biosafety and Biosecurity.